GERSTEL Thermal Desorption Unit
The GERSTEL TDU is the most versatile analytical thermal desorption system available. Using a "Platform" approach multiple techniques can be used for sample introduction allowing you to quickly respond to critical challenges.
Thermal Desorption Unit
The GERSTEL Thermal Desorption Unit (TDU) was developed as a dedicated instrument for use with GERSTEL Twister stir bars, but due to continued system development, it now has 6 additional sample introduction techniques for GC and GC/MS analysis. The TDU is used with the GERSTEL Cooled Injection System (CIS) on a GC or GC/MS system to enable ultra-trace analysis of a wide range of samples. The TDU mounts directly onto the CIS, eliminating the need for a transfer line and preventing analytes from contacting active sites and thus provides a completely inert sample path. Transfer of a sample into the TDU can be performed manually or automatically with the MPS TDU Automation Option.
Direct Thermal Extraction Analysis of Food Packaging Material
Knowledge about packaging/product interaction is of great interest to food manufacturers in order to control product quality over the course of its shelf-life. Scalping is the loss of components from a product to its packaging. Migration is the transfer of unwanted compounds from the packaging to the food product. Both processes are undesirable and can cause off odors or off flavors in a product.
An application note describes the use of the GERSTEL MultiPurpose Sampler (MPS) fitted with a Thermal Desorption Unit (TDU) and a Cooled Injection System (CIS 4) PTV-type Inlet for the automated direct thermal extraction analysis of packaging for three different brands of sandwich cookies, sandwich crackers and soft and chewy candy.
The results show that direct thermal extraction is a very good method for quantification as well as assessment of quality defects that may arise due to compounds introduced from food packaging. The method requires very little sample preparation.
Download the application note for more information on thermal extraction.
- Extremely versatile – 6 sample introduction techniques
- Automatic Tube Exchange with micro-vial – ATEX
- Dynamic Headspace – DHS
- Stir Bar Sorptive Extraction – SBSE – Twister
- Direct Thermal Desorption
- Adsorbent Packed Tube Thermal Desorption
- Hot Injection and Trapping (HIT) for HS and SPME
- Modular design, easy to add other sample introduction techniques
- Maestro provides exceptional software control
- Can be integrated into Agilent Technologies ChemStation
- Electronic pressure control for ease of use and reproducibility
- Valveless operation reduces contamination and downtime
- Short, inert high temperature (350 ºC) flow path
- Multiple temperature ramps
- Purges oxygen and water from sample
- True splitless operation
- Small footprint – mounts directly on GC