DVLS Benzene in Air Analyzer
To comply with the strict emission requirements for Benzene exposure and other volatile hydrocarbons at a refinery it is essential to determine the air quality and detect the emissions at ppm level. The Benzene in Air Analyzer developed by Da Vinci Laboratory Solutions is an automated Gas Chromatographic solution to determine the Benzene emissions and the C1-C6 hydrocarbons. The integrated sample preparation allows the sampling up to eight gaseous samples.
Analysis of benzene emissions in air
The Benzene in Air application is based on an Agilent Technologies Gas Chromatograph configured with a sampling unit that uses a pump, a mass flow controller and a multi-positioning valve to collect samples from e.g. a Tedlar bag or to takie a sample directly from the outside air.
Collect the samples in Tedlar bags and use the stream selection valve to select either standards, samples and/or multiple samples for an automated analysis. An injection port is modified to contain a sorbent tube as an injection port liner to ensures a rapid absorption and desorption of Benzene.
Alternatively collect the sample on a sorbent trap using a programmable sampling pump. The sorbent trap is placed in the inlet and automatically purged prior to thermal desorption and subsequent analysis. This proven sampling technique has already been used for the analysis of VOC in air.
Up to eight samples or standards can be automatically selected and sampled. The gas sampling unit automates the process of sampling, absorbing and desorbing. After benzene has eluted from the precolumn to the polar column, the remainder of the matrix is backflushed to vent.
Based on this configuration the GC application determines the Benzene emissions and C1-C6 hydrocarbons in air samples in one consecutive run.
The Benzene in Air application shows an excellent performance as demonstrated in the tables using a custom calibration gas standard.
Table One: Detection limits of Benzene in Air.
Table Two: Repeatability of Benzene in Air
- Automated analysis of Benzene & C1-C6 hydrocarbons in air in one run
- Analysis can be extended upto BTEX
- Integrated gas sampling, absorbing & desorbing
- Various options for sample collection
- Based on proven sampling technique for VOC in Air
- Up to 8 samples or standards can be selected and sampled
- Excellent performance specifications
The Benzene in Air application is based on an Agilent Technologies GC configured with:
- a FID or TCD
- a custom programmed temperature vaporization (PTV) injector
- an analytical column and a pre-column to backflush the C1-C6 hydrocarbon matrix.
- a sampling unit to collect up to eight samples from e.g. a Tedlar bag or to take a sample directly from the outside air.
The analysis can be extended to determine BTEX in Air. To extend the analysis to C6-C8 aromatic compounds (BTEX Analysis) just switch the backflush after elution of o-Xylene.